• Makes two jars
This is a firm favourite with the staff and customers at Maitreya Social. We serve it with the delicious veggie Maitreya burger on our lunch menu, but really it can be eaten with anything. I like this relish with quesodillas or burritos, bhajis or pakoras or with a good old-fashioned cheese sandwich.
- 500g Sweetcorn kernels (if using fresh lightly blanched and removed from the cob)
- 2 Red peppers
- 6 Cloves garlic (minced)
- 500ml Cider vinegar
- 325g Golden caster sugar
- 1 Large onion
- Fine sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1Tablespoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons cornflour
1. Dice the onion and peppers as finely as possible and place in a colander with the sweetcorn and garlic. Sprinkle the veg liberally with salt and allow to sit for an hour.
2. Mix the vinegar and the sugar in a large pan and place on a low heat to allow the sugar to dissolve.
3. Rinse the excess salt off the veg and add them to the vinegar and sugar. Toast the mustard seeds in a dry pan until they begin to pop then add them to the pot with the turmeric. Turn up the heat and allow the relish to come lightly to the boil.
4. Mix the cornflour with a touch of water to a paste and add this to the pot stirring thoroughly.
5. Leave on a low heat for a couple of minutes until thickened a little. Place in two sterilised jars to cool and keep.