• Serves 12
This Maitreya classic can be a lemon/orange/ lime or countless other Polenta cakes. Its gluten free, quick and easy to mix and can be dairy free. Substitute the butter for organic margarine and 10 to 12 dessertspoons of soya cream.
- 375 gm raw cane/ Demerara sugar
- 375 gm unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 5 eggs
- 3 lemons, fine zested
- 375 gm ground almond
- 180 gm fine cornmeal/ polenta
- 7 gm (1 heaped teaspoon) baking powder
- 15 passion fruit
- 100 ml water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Cube and soften butter to room temperature
- Pre-heat oven to 140˚C
- Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 10 inch (26cm) loose bottomed cake tin
- Cream butter and cane sugar until fluffy then add the eggs one by one, whisking to keep mix fluffy. Mix in the lemon zest.
- Fold in the ground almond, polenta and baking powder together.
- Place the mix in a cake tin and cover with a raised piece of aluminium foil with a tiny hole in the centre. Bake at 140 C for approximately 1 ¼ to 1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer will enter and leave the cake cleanly. nb do not open oven door for first 50 minutes as the cake does not contain any gluten (natural raising and holding properties)
- Meanwhile make the passion fruit drizzle; halve and scoop out the passion seeds and juice into a small pan, add the water and caster sugar. Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pass the passion syrup through a sieve pressing hard with a spoon to get all the liquid.
- The cake is ready when a skewer exits cleanly. Cool the cake for 20mins, then using a small skewer /or tooth pick! skewer the cake evenly about 100 times. Finally seep the cake evenly and slowly (for maximum absorption) with the passion syrup. Ideally refrigerate overnight. YUM!