• Serves 6
This vegetarian delight is a little tricky, having taken us a few practise runs to perfect. The exact quality of agar agar is paramount. We also make a delicious Turkish delight ice cream.
- 4 tablespoons rose water
- 18 gm algemar agar agar
- 270 ml (9 fl oz) water
- 450 gm (1lb) caster sugar
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 100g almonds
- 100g pistachios
- 25 gm / 1oz icing sugar
- 25 gm / 1oz corn flour for dusting
- In a good stainless steel pan bring the water, sugar and half the rose water gently to the boil, stir carefully to dissolve the sugar.
- Whisk in the agar agar and simmer gently while continually whisking for 8 minutes, add the lemon juice, redcurrant jelly and the remaining rose water, simmer and whisk for 1 minute more until the jelly has dissolved fully.
- Leave the delight to cool for 10 minutes, meanwhile gently toast the almonds until just golden and roughly chop the pistachios, then add the nuts to the delight.
- Pour into a wetted 20 x 15cm/ 8"x6" tin and chill for 24 hours until set.
- Sieve the icing sugar and corn flour together and sprinkle evenly over a piece of greaseproof paper. Turn the Turkish delight out onto the paper and cut into 2.5cm 1" squares with a sharp knife. Toss well in the sugar mixture then pack into an airtight container. Sprinkle again with sugar mixture to stop sticking before sealing the container.
Turkish Delight Ice Cream
You will really need an ice cream churner for this. However it is possible to 'turn' the mix as it freezes say 5 times this means whisking vigorously to stop it crystalising and 'hard freezing' by moving air through the mix.
This recipe makes approx 1.2 litres or 20 servings
- 2x 400ml tins coconut milk
- 1400ml soya cream
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 blade lemon grass, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp rosewater
- 4 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Juice 11/2 lemons jelly
- 220gms catser sugar
- 150gm finely chopped Turkish delight
- In a good medium stainless steel pan bring to the bol the coconut milk, half the soya cream, the lime leaves, the lemon grass, ½ the rosewater and the redcurrant jelly, simmer for gently for 10 minutes to infuse then strain through a sieve onto the sugar. Stir the mix to ensure the sugar dissolves
- Add the remaining rosewater and the lemon juice and coll the mix for 1 ½ hours
- Whisk the remaining soya cream (to alight thickness, soya cream will not whick to rippon' and fold into the mix.
- Using a churner, churn until the ice cream consistency and add the fine pieces of |Turlish delight at the end. Then deep freeze. For 8 hours. If hand churning freeze ina bowl for ½ an hour the n whisk, repeat twice in next hour and add the finely chopped Turkish delight. Deep freeze for 8 hours.